[disconnect this thread from the unrelated noise]

David Wheeler wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2004, at 8:17 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Why not? I'm not familiar with Module::Build, but doesn't it make
>> possible to subclass itself? Of course ModPerl::MB is only needed if
>> there are 3rd party mp2 modules that use M::B. Are there any? May be
>> David could write a skeleton for a dummy module that uses M::B. In
>> fact I don't mind taking one of my modules and convert them to use
>> M::B if David can help me with the task. It would be a good idea to do
>> that for one pure perl module and another for XS module. So we could
>> start with: Apache-Filter-HTTPHeadersFixup (pure perl) and then do
>> Apache-Scoreboard-2.0 (XS) and developer ModPerl::MB on the way.
>>
>> David, what do you think?
>

> I don't think that the XS tools are quite there for Module::Build, but
> I'm not sure. You'd have to ask Ken and Randy on the Module::Build mail
> list.
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=45731
>
> But starting with one of your Pure Perl modules is a good idea. Yes,
> M::B is subclassable--that's exactly how I implemented Apache::TestMB.
> So you should be able to create ModPerl::MB (or ModPerl::Build) as a
> subclass and simply override the install base property to add "Apache2"
> to it where necessary. I can certainly help some and answer some
> questions, but Ken Williams and Randy Sims will give you the best
> answers on the mail list (where I am also active, usually sending patches).

And if we do it the other way around, so you could take
Apache-Filter-HTTPHeadersFixup (the latest is on cpan) add a plain Build.PL (as if there was no mp2) and then we can add the needed strings and design ModPerl::MB on the way?

I've long ago planned to make my modules available under public svn, let me ping Robert if I we can setup an svn rep on svn.perl.org.