Many people do not realize that the core of .NET is an open standard.  It was submitted to ECMA and approved 3 years ago.  There is, in fact, a pretty robust open source .NET project on SourceForge: Mono.  Since Java 5.0 was released, however, the interest in C# has decreased, and no one was ever enthusiastic about the VB/ADO technology lines (which M$ kept proprietary) except the Microserfs.

As for Java, technically Sun holds the rights, but realistically, the Java Community determines its future.  The JCP is not open source, but it's pretty close.  Sun has promised for years to release Java to open source but has not done so yet.  It did, however, just release Solaris, so perhaps Java is not far behind.  Practically speaking, however, Java is as free as any open source technology.  And it's practitioners, like perlites, tend to be evangelicals.  Just look at what an impact Java has had on the formerly C++ - centric crowd at Apache.  There is probably a JUG near you.

Linux commands much the same enthusiasm as the Java and Perl communities, and though not nearly as numerous, there are small rabid groups of smalltalkers, lispers (including the truly deranged schemers), pythonites (on a quest), and rubyites.  I think the sociology of these technical communities is fascinating.  Including the one in which we are participating right now.  The best friends I have in my life were met on lists like this.

And then there is Eris S. Raymond....the AntiChrist.

>>> Saltbreez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 16-Feb-06 12:21:24 PM >>>
Well, I'm a newbie that has [and has used] a pink copy of the Camel book 1.
I choose perl _BECAUSE_ it was antiquated then; awk, sed and perl had stood the test of time.

Community? Perl was built by those with need for those with need;  I hear a corporation "owns" Java... and as for the creater of .NET, I like to think I own my [car, telephone, computer] .

1 Admittedly, my 2nd ed. has more wear...