I've fixed a lot of old CGI scripts over the past year and all new stuff to work in our MP2 environment and everything seems to be running excellent -- I mean GREAT, really.
Yes. I've never looked back myself. :)

If you're going all the way into modperl (arguably depending on your needs), you may want to use packages instead of a file-per-uri method. That means you use the following registration:

<Location /scripts/>
               SetHandler perl-script
               PerlResponseHandler Your::Package::Here
</Location>

Check out perl.apache.org for a sample package that uses this model.

And using this model, you can use the following to set your content handler:
$r->content_type('text/html');

Is this a problem or is it just bad style?
I don't think it's bad style. But if you're just using modperl to accelerate your perl applets, you should try this method instead for setting content type:

$q->header(-type => 'text/html');

Where $q is an instance of CGI (check out perldoc for details).