Perrin,

Is what I'm hearing you say is that in the PerlRun environment (and I'm
guessing the mod_perl environment too), anything that a subroutine uses
coming from outside that code must be passed as a parameter like
'&sub($paramter)'.   Am I correct in this.

Associating the words scope and closure helped.   I know scope well although
different languages implement the idea differently.   I had not heard the
word closure before or had not understood it as scope.

CraigT