I was just grappling with this problem last week, and after trying out
lighttpd, nginx, and varnish, I chose varnish.

I too run one single mod-perl server, but it's sort of complicated, with
file uploads and customizable pages and stuff. I found that neither lighttpd
or nginx really allowed me to handle large file uploads transparently
without strange pauses and what not--both pre-cache file uploads in full
before passing them back to the Apache/mod_perl server. I am sure I simply
couldn't figure out how to configure those features properly, but ease of
use is part of the game.

Varnish, on the other hand, was no harder to set up and begin to understand,
and it handled uploads well. There's some trickiness to setting up the rules
in your default.vcl, but it works nicely, and there was no need to fiddle
with the config just to allow uploads to go through quickly.

I'm contentedly serving static files and some dynamic-but-rarely-updated
html from my varnish cache now.

Amiri