Oh, one other wrinkle is ssl. I had to forgo proxying my ssl pages using
nginx, varnish or lighttpd. In all three cases I had to make apache listen
on my real IP address to port 443 for https from the internet, and only
allow it to listen on localhost:8080 for whatever was sent from the
reverse_proxy.

Amiri