On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:15:57 +1000, Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

There has not been any feedback on the release candidate from this
thread, and as such there is no projected release date.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/102778

There seems to be a few users who really want this release, but so far
no testing reports on the RC from anyone.  Please download, test, and
report back success or failure for that RC if you are interested in
seeing it released.

Ok, here we go.

I'm trying to report a test result,
but evidently lacking apache-dev fu.
I would appreciate any guidance.

Downloaded 0.96-RC1, untarred and tried to make test.
It runs the pod.t only, so I started reading the README.

I couldn't find anything related to testing in the README,
so I turned to the INSTALL file.

  $ perl Makefile.PL
    For static  mod_perl use -httpd /path/to/httpd
    For dynamic mod_perl use -apxs /path/to/apxs
  $ make

Following this, I tried:

  $ perl Makefile.PL -apxs /usr/bin/apxs2
  $ make test

Tests only pod.t again.
Then I tried manually running the t/apache2? tests:

  APACHE_TEST_APXS=/usr/bin/apxs2 perl -Iblib/lib t/apache2/all.t
  1..1
  # Running under perl version 5.010001 for linux
  # Current time local: Fri May 13 02:13:02 2011
  # Current time GMT:   Fri May 13 00:13:02 2011
  # Using Test.pm version 1.25_02
  # Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.31
  ok 1

Looks good, but doesn't test Apache::SizeLimit AFAIK, so on to:

APACHE_TEST_APXS=/usr/bin/apxs2 perl -Iblib/lib t/response/TestApache2/basic.pm Can't locate object method "is_threaded" via package "Apache2::MPM" at blib/lib/Apache2/SizeLimit.pm line 31.
  Compilation failed in require at t/response/TestApache2/basic.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/response/TestApache2/basic.pm line 9.

The APACHE_TEST_APXS bit coming from a manual run of t/apache2/all.t
that tells me the following:

  We are now going to configure the Apache-Test framework.
  This configuration process needs to be done only once.

  First we need to know where the 'httpd' executable is located.
  If you have more than one Apache server is installed, make sure
  you supply the path to the one you are going to use for testing.
  You can always override this setting at run time via the '-httpd'
  option. For example:

    % t/TEST -httpd /path/to/alternative/httpd

  or via the environment variable APACHE_TEST_HTTPD. For example:

    % APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/path/to/alternative/httpd t/TEST

  If for some reason you want to skip the test suite, type: skip
  Please provide a full path to 'httpd' executable:
  []

except this doesn't work exactly as stated (the "-httpd" part?),
and doesn't mention APACHE_TEST_APXS nor -apxs.

So, I have a few questions:

1) What is the proper way to test Apache2::SizeLimit in a dev environment
   and in a production (say Debian) environment?

2) Is there an svn repository that I can use to write a pod/README/INSTALL
   patch to explain this to others that might have same problems?

--
Cosimo