On 07/10/2011 06:28 AM, Tosh Cooey wrote:

Looks there like they have a Perl stack available, which is super for
the world but not so for me since the stack requires you use PSGI which
is a great approach but since I don't require portability I never went
that route, oh woe is me...

PSGI isn't just about portability, it's also about middleware. With a common interface between components we get out of the rut where each new cool plugin was re-implemented by every existing framework. Now most things can just be written as PSGI middleware and anything can use it no matter what your framework (or lack of one).

For instance, these are some handy ones to have:

Plack::Middleware::InteractiveDebugger
Plack::Middleware::REPL
Plack::Middleware::Firebug::Lite
Plack::Middleware::JSONP
Plack::Middleware::RefererCheck
Plack::Middleware::Static::Minifier
Plack::Middleware::HTMLMinify
Plack::Middleware::Mirror
Plack::Middleware::iPhone

And there's a ton more. Yes lots of them can be done with other existing Apache modules (but not all of them) and lots of them might already exist in your framework of choice. But pulling things out into middleware seems to be the future of such work and will thus get new features and be better maintained than lots of other alternatives.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP