It was written by me under the terms of my contract with the ASF
as a sysadmin.  The rationale document discusses the motivations
for doing the work as part of my work arrangement with Apache
versus as a volunteer contributor.  It is by design a cost-effective,
highly-scalable,enterprise-grade CMS, but fairly bare-bones when compared
to similaropen-sourceCMS's in terms of bundled features.  It is very
sysadminfriendly thowith very few administrative aspects that require
activemanagement.  Other than setting up and tearing down projects and
tweaking svn authz files,it largely manages itself.

I am not all that proficient at HTML/CSS design, so there's certainly
room for improvement in the webgui.  You can check out the current setup
by visiting https://cms.apache.org with user 'anonymous' and empty password.

The mod_perl based code itself is fairly advanced and makes heavy use
of subrequests, so if anything you will learn how to do that properly
in a mod_perl application once you've studied the codebase.  mod_perl

is one of the rare apps that fully supports subrequest calls in a dynamic
language, so this aspect differentiates it from non-mod_perl based
solutions.  IOW what I've done with the webgui simply couldn't be done
in any other httpd-based programming environment other than C itself,
and that would've taken at least 20X the number of LOC just to write,
much less debug.

HTH