The mailing list has been the official place for support of all bundled
mod_perl modules for as long as I can remember.  I don't think there's a
rule about perl core modules being passed between individuals either,
although I could be wrong.  Sending people to a mailing list for support is
a common practice with any widely used module, e.g. DBI.

Apache::DBI is obsolete in the sense that most people are using an ORM
framework that handles database persistence for them, so they have no use
for Apache::DBI.  It's not broken, and people should feel free to use it if
it fits their use case.  It has certain advantages over
DBI->connect_cached() which have been discussed here many times.

I'm not sure why you're concluding that Apache::DBI is unsupported.  To me,
getting multiple responses on a mailing list is pretty much Platinum Level
Support for open source.  If no one stepping forward to say "I own X, let
me debug it for you" means that X is unsupported and obsolete, then I think
we're all in trouble.

Open source support has always been laissez-faire (unless you choose to
hire someone for it).  The only thing that has changed recently is that
with more viable web runtime options to choose from (PSGI, FastCGI's
comeback, etc.), the perl web dev world is more splintered and there are
fewer people on the mod_perl list than there used to be.  That's a little
sad for me to see, but the new stuff is pretty nice too, and lots of people
are still using mod_perl and answering questions on this list.

- Perrin