No apology please. In terms of trying to qualify any of this, a larger statistical pool is better. And I am no authority. My perceptions are largely based on forum postings which causes an inherent bias.

I'd love to see this conversation continue, especially if participants included those who commit significant resources to their technology decisions. In other words, people who hire and pay Perl programmers.
They're likely to be as skeptical as I am.  I've never been a cheerleader.

In their absence, I'd note that your post has an interesting ambiguity: Is the number of unsupported modules 2.5% or 25%? (For more rhetorical nit-picking, you probably don't use the ones that don't work :) Also, the significant question seems to be whether Apache::DBI is supported or not.
From Mr. Zheng's point-of-view (in this case, the one that matters) the
number might be much higher.

 -Jim