you are right.

It does not even compile correctly any more due to some stupid and
incorrect logic in Makefile.PL related to major and minor perl versions. I
have to edit Makefile.PL prior to compiling it.

It has no real future, sadly.

GD::Graph is something that is not going to kill me (like if CGI.pm became
unavailable) but it is certainly a concern.

Are there any alternatives to it?