"Ralf S. Engelschall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]
> Yeah, the problem is that OpenSSL doesn't know these "ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY"
> headers. Mod_ssl cannot change this, of course.  The question now is: From
> where do they come, i.e. which program created this format?  And what's in
> this container? Just a Base64-encoded DER key?

>From our crypto dude, Marc Van Heyningen:

It was generated by SSLPlus, a commercialization of Netscape's free sslref.
I think sslref used the same label.

The container is a DER of a PKCS#5 object, and the plaintext is a
PKCS#8 private key.

What I noticed was more than just that "ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY" was not
known, but that the variable that pointed to it, should have been pointing to
something like "RSA PRIVATE KEY", and vice versa.

Much Thanks,
Tom