I passed all tests fine with my Mac Communicator 4.51 that I originally
reported the error with. You can see my entries in the error log with IP
199.120.185.113.
  This is a little troubling, because I believe my development
environment is identical to yours:  Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.6
OpenSSL/0.9.2b on FreeBSD 3.1
  I had just done a clean install of all that, because I tried using the
SSLeay-0.9.0b library and got the same error. I'm going to try
rebuilding with the
  OPTIM="-g -ggdb3" option your recommend for debugging, and I'll let
you know the result of that.

 -mark

--
http://flip.summersault.com/