Seems to be the known problem then.  You have your workaround in your own answer.
KeepAlive Off.  Of course you'd only want that inside your

<VirtualHost _default_:443>

and there actually is a recommended

     SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
        nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
        downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

which I'd put there instead of the general KeepAlive off.

I don't know whether that still will be required with Apache 2 version of mod_ssl.

While not perfect, definitely beats using IIS.

- Leo