On Fri, 17 May 2002 13:51:15 +0100
"Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MS IE 5.00 was a flawed release, that MS very quickly (4 weeks) replaced
> with 5.01, mainly for security reasons. You should be able to get any
> reasonable users (corporate or otherwise) to upgrade asap. MSIE 5.00 has
> some serious bugs when using SSL and cacheing, so you may be able to
> tweak all your users caching settings, and also to look at making your
> pages non-cacheable. I have to say though that in our experience with a
> group of 10 users of 5.00 it was far easier to get them to switch to
> Netscape until their 5.01 (in fact they went for 5.5) to arrive.

Unfortunately in this sector of retail, our target audience is very
fickle, and an abundance of similar online retailers in recent years
have made this an extremely competitive market. We cannot afford to
aggravate any customers at this point.

In addition, a large proportion of our customers have little or no
previous IT experience and cannot be expected to apply patches no matter
how trivial it may seem to us!

***SNIP***

> The problems you describe with 5.01, I have seen when SSL keepalive
> settings were enabled on the web-server. The SSLKeepAlive settings were
> invented to speed up a clients access to your site, so that as
> subsequent requests for images, css, etc etc were made, the SSL
> negotiation overhead was short-circuited. Unfortunately the MS 5.xx
> browsers never quite got it right. We use Apache, and this is the
> setting in httpd.conf
>   SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
> downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

I checked our httpd.conf, and indeed we have the same line in all our
SSL sites. So this particular problem must lie elsewhere.

I'll agree with peoples' comments on IE5 being terrible, but
unfortunately as an online retailer we have no choice as to what our
customers access our website with, and a disturbing number of customers
(33%) happen to be using IE5.00 to 5.01.

If anyone else has any comments, they would be very much appreciated at
this point!