> In addition, a large proportion of our customers have little or no
> previous IT experience and cannot be expected to apply patches no
matter
> how trivial it may seem to us!

We had some top-notch technical people spend more than three months,
setting up an isolated web/client environment to duplicate customers
configurations in order to track down, isolate and see if there was a
fix for this intermittent problem.

We tested a vast range of both client and server configurations,
(including win9x/ME/NT clients to see if there were OS specific DLLs
causing the issues), to see if there were any combinations that might
improve the situation - as I mentioned, you can improve it by fiddling
with the client caching settings - but this is actually harder for
clients to do than upgrading IE using a free CD. It also requires that
you carefully craft your server cache directives for MSIE 5.00 clients.

After three months of investigation, testing and email exchanges with MS
support, we concluded that there was no practical solution. We will take
our hats off for you if you can find one. We believe that MSIE 5.00/SSL
goes into the same bucket as the yeti - no-one's ever seen a real
commercial version of the beastie, and we aint gonna $pend more time
hunting it.

The Bad Thing that will happen, is that your site will appear flaky to
your customers. If you can live with that, good and well - otherwise,
consider not using SSL for some bits [not an option for us].

You can also minimise the issues with some site redesign - make sure
there is only ONE thing per request - no images, external JavaScript or
external style-sheets etc, then at least the failure is total, rather
than indeterminate, and users can get away with pressing refresh. We
operate commercial sites on an ASP basis with high user expectations, so
this wasn't an option for us.

IHMO 33% of your market isn't really buying stuff reliably elsewhere
using SSL and MSIE 5.00

On the 5.01 problems I can offer more hope - we have lots of clients
happily using 5.01 with certs and SSL, through proxies and firewalls
without issues - this one is grokkable. Apart from the early SSL
keepalive, we have had no issues with 5.01.

Regards
Jeff