On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 06:57:36AM -0800, David Marshall wrote:
> The biggest drawbacks to this solution were.
> a. Every time you reboot/restart IIS on the System where OWA is installed,
>    your security settings will be reset adding "Windows Integrated Authentication"
>    back to the virtual directories.

Strange. We've already done that and it does last through reboots.

> b. We had to add a virtual host for every OWA site on Apache that we needed to host.
>    In my environment we have 3 exchange servers and 2 routing groups.
>    This meant that as we changed our Exchange Topology, that we would have
>    to re-work the Apache front-end proxy.

Ah. That sounds like you're doing this to backend servers - not an OWA
frontend server - sorry for not mentioning that - we're using frontend
servers - specifically to get around the issues of having multiple Exchange
servers.

> After reading the Microsoft Exchange Front-End/Backend documents
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=43997 , We decided
> to evaluate running a Front-End OWA server under SSL with HTTP disabled on a
> separate system from the other Exchange Servers. In the final analysis, we
> decided that this was the right answer for us.

That's alright. I finally think I've figure it out! The problem was that our
Apache reverse-proxy was called "proxy.domain", whereas our OWA2K was called
"owa.domain". Whenever a client asked for
"https://proxy.domain/exchange/..."; that would pass through to owa.domain
with a Host: header of "proxy.domain" (as you would expect). However there
is a bug in either OWA or IE5+ that causes OWA2K to generate corrupt XML if
the IIS server doesn't recognise the Host: header as being itself.

So all we did was tell IIS that "proxy.domain" was a valid alias for itself,
and magically OWA2K started working via the reverse-proxy :-)

I feel like I've achieved something this week :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417