On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 00:32 US/Eastern, Arthur Chan wrote:

Well, my eyes did glaze over somewhere betw thermodynamics and mobile
perpetuum ;-)
So does this mean that if I work in a less sophisticated infrastructure
where only 56kbps ppp dialup is available, I can get some incremental gain
by zipping it up before encrypting it ? [yes/no]

Yes. ...And the larger the plaintext, the larger your gain, percentage-wise. (simply because larger plaintext files *tend* to shrink by a larger percentage when compressed)

Caveats ?

Both compression and encryption are computationally expensive operations. Don't skimp on the CPU for this machine.
[....]

Best~
-dsp