To add to Cliff's comment about browsers complaining about the mix of
secure an insecure content there is a genuine security reason for *not*
doing what you propose.

Put yourself in the position of a crook who has gained access to the
datastream flowing into your SSL server. As you are probably aware, all
encryption ciphers can be cracked by a brute force attack (making
repeated attempts at guesssing the key). Hopefully, the time-to-crack
will be "long", but you don't know how fast the crook's computer is. If
he works for the NSA, it might be very fast indeed. If you serve all
content via SSL, he has no idea which packets are important and which
are just images etc. so he has to crack everything. If you decide to
save a teeny bit of processing on the server by encrypting only the
important things, he then sees lots of "en clair" packets (containing
image data etc.) which he can safely ignore and only a few occasional
nuggets of encrypted data which he can be sure are worth cracking. Thus
he can focus his efforts on these. Therefore, you make life easy for the
cracker by highlighting the packets that are worth cracking! In other
words, the best place to hide a leaf is in the forest.

You shouldn't need to worry about the processing load of the SSL
encryption. If it is slowing your server, then, frankly, your server is
not powerful enough to serve the traffic you have - get more memory,
upgrade the chipset, do whatever is necessary to get up to speed.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>But, I don't want to generate absolute URLs on the fly to link to
>non-secure static content. What I want is to make request to
>certain urls
>"less secure" such that processing is faster. For example, I have a
>directory called art, which is just a defined alias for a
>directory. Is
>there a way to make ssl processing for this directory less
>restrictive than
>for the "generic requests" to the virtual host so that
>processing is faster?
>
>Home someone can help
>
>Henrik Bentel

>Automated List Manager                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

views of the sender's company.