elaine wrote:
I also used to run analog on the search logs but, again, I
doubt that they would be accurate in any way for measuring module
downloads and interest.

They're not, as I can readily attest. According to those stats, CSS::SAC is one *really* popular module. Ego boost apart, I know there are people using that module but certainly far from enough to make it compete stat-wise with the likes of LWP or DBI (which at some point it did in the stats).

The reason for that fake popularity is that it is linked from the main page of the CSS section on the W3C website. That site is in the top of Google's karma list, probably very high in other places, and anyway constantly being indexed (and its links with it) by hundreds of bots -- and the odd lost user clicking on a random link.

I think CPANPLUS had something to track installed modules stats, don't where it's at right now. It's certainly a far better measure.

--
robin