On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, James E Keenan wrote:
> May I begin a separate thread for a line of discussion coming up under
> the dead camels?

Sure.

> I'm going to present empirical observations only; it would be premature
> to make suggestions for changes until we heard from more contributors.

It's never stopped us before.  :)  Bru-hahahaha.

> Searching via "All":
> 1st distro appearing is Test::More as part of Palm-Progect-2.0.1 by Michael
> Graham.  Schwern's Test::More appears 4th on list.

(A) Do we have any idea what tha algorithm it's using is?

(B) Could we make an exception/improvement to the algorithm which makes
the "real module" come up first?

> Searching via "Modules":
> 1st distro appearing is Test::More as part of CPAN-1.76 by Andreas J Konig.
> Schwern's Test::More does not come up at all among 471 entries found.
>
> Searching via ""Distributions":
> Test::More does not come up at all

(C) Couldn't we have a seperate box that comes up on the side of the
search results that shows the version/date of the last three releases of a
given module X if the search string put in is reasonably obviously
referring to a specific module.  So it might look something like this
when searching for "Foo::Bar", "Foo-Bar", or "foo bar":

1) Irrelevant Result                    Module Foo::Bar
2) Useless Result                         v0.1  4-1-1870
3) Misleading Result                      v0.2  4-1-1970
4) Ancient Result                         v0.3  4-1-2003
5) Irrelevant Result
6) Irrelevant Result
7) Useful Result too low to see
8) Distracting Result

> Issue 2:  Which links PAUSE builds when an author uploads a module whose POD
> contains links?

I'd love to know the answer to this too.

> Do others observe similar phenomena? Is it problematic for you?

Ironically, search.cpan.org is phenomenal for browsing perl module docs,
but it's really strange and bewildering when it comes to searching them.

--
</chris>

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It
will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)