On 11/19/2003 11:34 PM, Lincoln A. Baxter wrote:

Hi,

I and several others are starting to put together a collection of
modules.  The will be an architecture for implementing a
data/application integration server.  More on that later when we have a
more complete description we can post.

But as we start to put this together we run across Module::Build.  In
the past I have always used ExtUtils::MakaMaker.  Is there a preference
(if one were starting from scratch), to using one over the other?

Obiously h2xs assumes MakeMaker, but that does not mean I could not
at this relatively early point (at the beginning of putting it
together), switch to Module::Build or Module::Build::Compat.

Are there opinions either way? or a consensus on the future directions?
I don't want to start a religious war, I just way to hear some opinions,
and try to understand (beyond the arguments in Module::Build's pod)
which is currently preferred and why.

Lincoln

There are nearly 200 distinct distributions on CPAN that now use Module::Build. And the number continues to inch upward. M::B is scheduled to appear in perl 5.10 and ultimately to replace MakeMaker, see perldelta. M::B doesn't require a make tool, so on platforms that do not include easy access to make, users can still build and install pure perl modules.

M::B is still very young. There are some things it does not do well yet, and something it does not do at all, but Ken is doing a great job on it, and it is steadily moving forward.

BTW, I'm an M::B groupie. I hang out on the module-build mailing list, so I'm a bit biased.

Regards,
Randy.