On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:00:07PM -0000, Orton, Yves wrote:
> If you cant install modules then the fact that Module::Build and CPANPLUS
> exist isnt going to help you much.

*head scratch* if they can't install modules then it really doesn't matter
how modules are installed since they can't install modules.

> I think it would have caught on a LOT faster if the silly Build.PL decision
> hadnt been made. Breaking the old stuff is ok once the new stuff has
> sufficient market penetration. Breaking the old stuff from the get go just
> means youll never have the market penetration to convince people its
> worthwhile.

Except when the old stuff is Fairly Broken, Mostly Undocumented and would
be a Nightmare to reproduce.  Sort of in the same way that PONIE would
be impossible if it had to replicate all of XS.   We don't now half of
how things are used and a lot of it simply doesn't make sense in the new
module.

Part of the point of Module::Build is to correct the historical design
mistakes of MM's interface.

Module::Build's Makefile.PL emulation handles most of the commonly used
MakeMaker options and that's good enough for most uses.  If you've found
an edge case that causes problems, patches welcome.

> Now if a concerted effort was made to ensure that Module::Build easily
> installed everywhere (as seen with the prerequisites and Win32 build failure
> it does not) and that _every_ distribution produced by Module::Build was
> installable via CPAN.pm then I would feel much more confident about its
> future.

M::B is planned to go into 5.10, that's as fast as we can push it.  Both
from new Perl core module inclusion perspective and giving time for M::B
to mature.

Meanwhile, its installable seperately, backwards compatible and much, much
more easily maintained across platforms than MakeMaker.  Hell, it even works
on MacPerl.  If its got a glitch on Win32 then it just needs a little work.
Perhaps from a Win32 developer that's interested in Module::Build.  If only
we knew one... ;)

As for CPAN.pm, petition Andreas to include Dave's Build.PL patch.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
WOOHOO!  I'm going to Disneyland!