On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 04:34:42PM -0000, Orton, Yves wrote:
> Lets consider the situation as we have it from the POV of a CPAN.pm user
> without your patches (like me and the vast majority of production perl
> instances out there).
>
> 1. CPAN downloads the dist unpacks it and either
>   A. Finds no Makefile.PL, and crashes directly.
>   B. Finds a Makefile.PL which is simply a passthrough to Module::Build and
> Build.PL.
>     i) CPAN passes special options to the Makefile.PL
>     ii) where Module::Build either ignores them or dies with an error.

Ah HA!  I see the problem.

M::B's Makefile.PL *does* honor a healthy chunk of Makefile.PL options.
Including PREFIX.  It might behave a little differently, but that's the
best that can be done without someone doing a lot of work to emulate
MM's fairly crazy prefixification logic.

[/usr/local/src/CPAN/Module-Build-0.21] perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~
perl Build.PL config=prefix=/Users/schwern
Checking whether your kit is complete...
Looks good
Creating new 'Build' script for 'Module-Build' version '0.21'

> In what way is the superior to
>
> 1. CPAN downloads the dist, unpacks it and
> 2. Runs Makefile.PL with some set of special options
> 3. Makefile.PL uses Module::Build and either ignores them or dies with an
> error.

This is exactly what it does.  If that's not working for you I guess its
just a bug.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
It's Airplane Glue sniffing time!