CPAN recognizes "_" in the version variable as indicating a development
version. This is easy if you're only releasing regular floating point versions
i.e. "2.2" becomes "2.2_01".

Does this work? I'm not clear on the validity of _ with 2 decimal versions.
our $VERSION = '2.2.1_01';

On Aug 4, 2010, at 3:21 PM, David Golden wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Guillaume Cottenceau <gcott...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hum. This is for an application (a game), not a module, and I want it
>> to be clearly labelled as a beta release. So fine with "There are no
>> standard conventions for alphanumerics, and you just make life hard
>> for the machines, which means no help for the humans." but I don't see
>> the big problem for machines and I don't know how to say "hey this is
>> beta" only with numbers; especially if "5.005_03 is equivalent to
>> 5.5.30", I don't see how this could be considered to mark it beta/dev
>> :/
>>
>> Thanks for your help..
>
> Let me try to clarify.  For a given Perl module called "Foo", the
> "$Foo::VERSION" variable defines the version number that the perl
> interpreter will use to check against a minimum required version:
>
>    use Foo 1.02;
>
> You can't put alphanumerics in $Foo::VERSION and have things behave nicely.
>
> However, a "distribution" -- by which I mean a tarball containing Perl
> modules, can have any name/number you want..  By convention, it should
> follow the same rules as for Perl module numbers, but it doesn't have
> to.  The big downside to alphanumerics is that various CPAN ecosystem
> tools may not know how to interpret it as a "number".
>
> If you don't plan on releasing this to CPAN, then you don't have to
> worry about it.  If you do, then you should be aware of the
> conventions.  They evolved organically over time, if that helps
> explain why things are the way they are.
>
> -- David

Todd Rinaldo
to...@cpanel.net