So how can we force the VERSION for  the non CPAN release?

Kartik Thakore

On 2010-08-05, at 3:24 PM, David Golden <xda...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Eric Wilhelm <enoba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does search.cpan.org understand "-TRIAL" now?  Last I looked, it was
properly handled (i.e. not indexed) by PAUSE, but would leak through in
a few other places where it appears that an assumption was being made
without checking the index.

CPAN::DistnameInfo added support for '-TRIAL' in 0.10 back in March of
this year and I'm pretty sure that's what Graham is using for
search.cpan.org.

It's certainly possible that it's leaking through elsewhere.  rjbs has
been doing -TRIAL releases of Dist::Zilla and may have a better sense
of where any remaining issues are.

It also looked like '-TRIAL' was intended to be used as a pre-release
without bumping any version numbers, so you could have -TRIAL1,
-TRIAL2, etc all with the version e.g. 5.6.2. Am I understanding that
right?

I believe that was specific to perl distributions, not CPAN
distributions, but it may work for those as well.

-- David