How do we make this work?

I get a error doing this.

Kartik Thakore

On 2010-08-04, at 4:21 PM, David Golden <xda...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Guillaume Cottenceau <gcott...@gmail.com > wrote:
Hum. This is for an application (a game), not a module, and I want it
to be clearly labelled as a beta release. So fine with "There are no
standard conventions for alphanumerics, and you just make life hard
for the machines, which means no help for the humans." but I don't see
the big problem for machines and I don't know how to say "hey this is
beta" only with numbers; especially if "5.005_03 is equivalent to
5.5.30", I don't see how this could be considered to mark it beta/dev
:/

Thanks for your help..

Let me try to clarify.  For a given Perl module called "Foo", the
"$Foo::VERSION" variable defines the version number that the perl
interpreter will use to check against a minimum required version:

   use Foo 1.02;

You can't put alphanumerics in $Foo::VERSION and have things behave nicely.

However, a "distribution" -- by which I mean a tarball containing Perl
modules, can have any name/number you want..  By convention, it should
follow the same rules as for Perl module numbers, but it doesn't have
to.  The big downside to alphanumerics is that various CPAN ecosystem
tools may not know how to interpret it as a "number".

If you don't plan on releasing this to CPAN, then you don't have to
worry about it.  If you do, then you should be aware of the
conventions.  They evolved organically over time, if that helps
explain why things are the way they are.

-- David