On 11/24/10 1:23, Nicholas Clark wrote:
The symlink tree is built by scripts, isn't it? Are they available?

Actually; since earlier this year it's not being built anymore. I promised to write a note announcing it but haven't gotten around to it.

So inadvertently we got to test if anyone cared.  The answer is no.  :-)

Nobody is navigating the CPAN via FTP anymore, so they serve ~no useful purpose.

The longer term plan is to get rid of first all the symlink files (although they should get pruned as the files the links point to are removed) and eventually the directories (in some number of years).

I imagine it might be useful to put in index.html and README files in each directory with a relevant pointer to http://search.cpan.org/search?q=$foo - but I don't have time to rig that up.

 - ask