On Fri, November 19, 2010 2:18 pm, dhu...@hudes.org wrote:
> The savings for going to .bz2 over .gz for source code are fairly
> insignificant.  We're talking about source code for a perl module.  Is
> your stuff tens of megabytes in size? That's a lot of code if so. I could
> understand if you were distributing a sizable database with your code but
> source code, even 100KLOC? Once you go to .gz you're already at better
> than 2:1. What are you going to save by going to even 3:1, 10Kbytes?
> compared to the nuisance inflicted, it's nothing.

Over the entire CPAN archive, it'd be significant...

I agree on the individual case it's probably not worth worrying about too
much.  But if it's easy to use .bz2 or something better it wouldn't hurt
to get that word out.  (And it may be worth making it easy, though I'm not
sure about that.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.