On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:57 -0800, dhu...@hudes.org wrote:
> Disk space is cheap. Bandwidth is cheap. What's rough is the rsync
> between
> mirrors. Compressing to .bz2 won't help that: the stress is doing a stat
> on every single file in CPAN not the transfer. Work toward optimizing the
> mirror distribution instead of worrying about bz2 vs gz.  Remember not
> everyone is on UNIX or UNIX-like: Windows users use CPAN also and AFAIK
> Windows doesn't understand .bz2 -- certainly not .xz .

Windows itself doesn't. I can't speak for any OTHER perl distribution on
Windows, but Strawberry Perl has been including modules that handle .bz2
since before the July 2009 "first .msi" release, and the 32-bit versions
of the July 2010 includes .xz-handling modules, as well, if I recall
correctly (I can't recall right now why they fail on  64-bit so far, but
I know they do.)

--Curtis Jewell
--
Curtis Jewell
csjew...@cpan.org           http://csjewell.dreamwidth.org/

"Your random numbers are not that random" -- perl-5.10.1.tar.gz/util.c

Strawberry Perl for Windows betas: http://strawberryperl.com/beta/