On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:56:07 +0300
"Harold J. Ship" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How it works today: there are 3 types of request: light, medium and
> heavy.
> We will need 2 "pools" of threads. One for handling light requests,
> and one for medium/heavy.

That sounds rather like a new MPM.

> The light requests can be dealt with by the usual mechanism.
> The medium and heavy requests should be passed by the to the other
> thread pool, freeing the original "ordinary" thread to handle more
> incoming requests.

That, on the other hand, sounds like solving a problem that
isn't there.  Unless you really need priority queues, you can
just let everything run in parallel.

> We are worried that if we try to process the medium and heavy requests
> with a thread pool, then either the "ordinary" thread will block
> anyway, or the next filter will get starved.

Hmm?  Why do you suppose that?

> The heavy requests mentioned above are to be sent to another server.

So that's a (reverse) proxy architecture.  Apache is happy with that,
and indeed it's a very common scenario.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/