David,

My rigging experience was just the opposite.  I found a couple of broken
wires at the top of my M15 side stays, symmetrical, with one broken on each
side.  Took one down the street to a sail shop in Sandysky and within 30
minutes I had the new stays rigged on the boat.

Bill Riker
M-15 #184
Storm Petrel

-----------previous post  -----------------
On Behalf Of David Fann
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Good Book !

The Shadow in the Sands is a very good read for sailors. (Another is The
Celtic Ring, by Bjorn Larsson.)

There is a recent hard cover edition of The Riddle of the Sands. The
indispensable maps and charts are quite readable, compared with the tiny
ones in the paperbacks. No more Xeroxing and enlarging, as I had to do for
the first six times (actually, I have lost count) I read the book!
Definitely read Riddle before starting Shadow. The Shadow in the Sands is a
worthwhile sequel and builds directly on the plot and characters in The
Riddle of the Sands.

Those three books will be the foundation of Dulcibella's library, when I
finally get her launched.*

David Fann

*(I kinked a shroud when first rigging Dulcibella. A nearby rigger, who
shall remain unnamed, found the task of duplicating a shroud for a 17'
sailboat beyond his abilities, and it took him two weeks to admit defeat. I
ordered a new shroud from Montgomery Boats. It should arrive soon.)


On Thursday, December 20, 2001, at 10:38 PM, Larry Yake wrote:



Todd,
  Richard Maury was 23 when he began the 3 year journey that became The Saga
of Cimba.
But it is obvious throughout the book that he had a lot of previous
experience.  He owned his first boat when he was 8 and by the time he was in
his early twenties he had served before the mast on the full-rigged ship
Tusitala.  He spent most of his life as a deep water mariner and never
completed another book.
  I have the sequel to Riddle of the Sands, but it is written by another
author, Sam Llewellyn.  It's The Shadow in the Sands and sounds good (Sam
Llewellyn has written several good sailing books), but I haven't read it yet
as I'm still trying to get a copy of Riddle of the Sands.
Larry Y.


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to