I've enjoyed reading accounts of first sails by new owners, so here's my own
first experience with Montgomery 15 #412, "Chimpanzee."  I finally stole
away from work for a much-needed weekend of sailing on the Chesapeake.

I live on Kent Island on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and the idea was to head
down the shore from Kent Island towards the Choptank River.  I launched the
boat solo on Friday evening around 5 and headed out close-hauled into
Eastern Bay.  The weather report predicted foul weather on Sunday and
Monday, and I decided that I should stay closer to home and not get out into
the open Chesapeake.  Every bit of rigging except the mast section was new,
and I've found that on almost every first sail in a boat I've rigged
something goes "Twang!" and chaos ensues.  So no Choptank;  I steered south
for St. Michael's.  Eastern Bay and the Miles River are protected from most
wind directions.  Besides, every boat on the Chesapeake was assembling a few
miles away to watch Sunday's start of the Volvo Ocean Race, and as fun as
that is I wanted to avoid the crowd, especially if my tricky new rig was
going to fall by the board.

Although I stayed out of deep water, my 2-1/2 day, 40-mile sail gave me a
chance to try the boat in almost every condition, from long upwind drives in
fresh winds, spinnaker runs in less than 5 knots, and a screaming, surfing
15-mile broad reach under reduced sail.  The experience confirmed a
suspicion I had:  the published reports often understate the M-15's
abilities.  Chimpanzee has a clean bottom, newly faired rudder and
centerboard, and new sails, and all this has to help.  But all in all it's a
fine little sailer: stiff, fast and weatherly.

My cruise started with a 10-mile beat up the Miles River towards St.
Michaels in about 12 knots of wind with a small chop.  After some
experimentation, I found that Chimp was stiff enough that I could cleat the
mainsheet, which left one hand free to hold the chart book, take compass
bearings, and grab handfuls of trailmix.  This was the first trial of the
new sails.  The new mainsail, by Ulmer-Kolius, is bigger than the stock M-15
main.  I had them put in a great deal more roach, which is supported by a
full-length top batten.  Looks just like a West Wight Potter's mainsail,
only it's quite a bit larger, 95 sqft.  I had also installed a slightly
larger jib off my Windmill racing sloop.  I worried that extending the sail
area of the mainsail aft would bring about too much weather helm.  There was
some helm, but it was modest and only appeared when the boat was pressed
down by a strong puff.  The GPS reported 4.5 knots VMG while pointing high,
a very creditable show.

As the sun set Friday night, I bore off to run up the Wye River, and made
another marvelous discovery:  Chimpanzee will self-steer for 15 or 20 boat
lengths on most points of sail.  I laughed out loud;  the only other small
boat of mine to do this is my beloved Bolger Yawl (an Oldshoe, smaller
sister of Connie's Micro).  The boat came with a sort of tiller-tamer
widget, and with the tiller clamped I could actually stand on the foredeck
to set the whisker pole.  This was a real treat, and I was rewarded by a
thumbs-up from a passing yachtsman, admiring Chimpanzee as she charged up
the Wye, wing-and-wing.

On Saturday I sailed further south, exploring the Miles River nearly to its
end.  There was hardly a breath of air as a passing high pressure system
lingered over the Bay.  Nevertheless, a 5-knot northerly appeared for a few
hours, and I used this to run a few miles under full mainsail and masthead
spinnaker.  The GPS showed 3.5 knots under spinnaker in that light air
before it evaporated and I had to fire up the Honda kicker.

Saturday night I sidled up a narrow creek off of the Miles and laid out two
anchors.  Lousy weather was predicted overnight, so I stretched the old jib
over the boom to protect the companionway and settled into the cabin with
lots of good books and food.  I'm 6'1", and I think the M-15's cabin is
wonderful.  Cozy and dry.  The rain poured down outside, while I stayed warm
and comfortable.  It isn't perfect, mind you;  the condensation was
annoying.  (Fellow M-15 cruisers are nodding their heads emphatically as
they read this.)  The only solution is better ventilation.  I'm awaiting the
arrival of a small Lewmar hatch for installation in the foredeck, and I
suspect that will take the edge off the mugginess.

Rain it did, finally blowing out around noon on Sunday.  I stowed my books
and headed back up the Miles towards home, about 15 miles away.  I pulled in
a reef in the main and was glad I did;  there was some weight behind the
southwesterly that followed the passing of the warm front.  15-18 knots.  It
was a straight shot from St. Michaels to the boat ramp on Kent Island, a
broad reach the whole way, and I had one of those sails that you remember
for a long time.  The waves built as I headed north, until in the last few
miles I was surfing on 3-4 foot waves.  In more protected water, I could
sustain 5.5 knots, right at or just above hullspeed, with a giant foaming
wake.  But in the waves the speed crept up;  5.8, 6.2, 6.6, 6.8, and for one
glorious moment, 7 knots.  I got so carried away watching the GPS for the
next big spike that I didn't mind my course and I had to jibe to maneuver
into Crab Alley.  Rough conditions, but the boat was snug and dry.

All in all, great fun.  One of the things I liked the most was the Harken
jib furler.  Without leaving the cockpit I could whisk the jib in and out
nearly as quickly as it took to form the thought.  This was of great value
when maneuvering, especially for a solo sailor, and I would say worth the
$250.  The "slab reefing" on the mainsail worked on the first try (that has
to be a first for me).

The stock tiller was too short to my taste, and I plan to build one about
20" longer.  That'll make it too long with two people in the cockpit, but I
sail alone mostly, and I like to sit forward so that the transom doesn't
drag.  In the longer term, I'd like to build a fiberglass "sea hood" over
the companionway to form the basis for a low canvas dodger.  That will allow
you to keep the hatch open when it's raining, permitting more headroom at
anchor, and the solar panel can live atop the sea hood.


Cheers,
John

Chesapeake Light Craft
The Best Boats You Can Build
http://www.clcboats.com


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to