Harvey,

I bought an 11# Claw (Bruce knock-off) last season and have been very happy
with it.  Fortunately, it hasn't been really tested yet, but it sets so
quickly and firmly that I have great confidence in it.  And most of my
sailing bottoms are mud or sand.

WM doesn't have anything between 4.4# and 11#, so I went with the 11.  I
think a smaller (8#) Bruce type anchor would be fine for a 15.  IMHO, the
one-piece anchors take more space, but are much easier to handle than the
Danforth type.

In your situation I would use the Bruce as a primary and the Danforth as a
second anchor when conditions were extreme.

Actually, I'm thinking of buying the 4.4# Claw as a lunch hook and leaving
my clunky Danforth style at home.

Since I have 2 shallow cockpit lockers, I keep both anchors, chains and
rodes under the starboard berth.   Balances the motor to port.

Good luck,
Bill Riker
M-15 #184
Storm Petrel

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Harvey
Hochstetter
Sent: April 30, 2002 4:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: Anchoring


Connie,

Thanks for the anchoring info.  Pelican has a small (8#)Bruce and a
heavier Danforth type, I believe it's about 12#, with chain and rode.
It does not have the chocks and I do intend to get something up on the
bow to prevent chafe.

A couple of questions.

One is good for sand, mud and weedy bottoms, one is good for rocky.
Without a fishfinder type depth sounder I don't know what the bottom is
made of.  Would the Danforth be the best all around bet?

I am thinking of getting a third anchor so I want to get what would be
best for most situations.  Also, I want to probably increase the weight
and chain size/length as well.  Considering the "West Advisors" info, I
want to go up in size.  Within reason, is there any problem with going
to far over-size?

Thanks for your response.  One of the next sailing days is going to be
a day of anchoring drills.

Happy Sails to You

Harvey & Deena H
M-15   #348 Pelican
Walla Walla, WA

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to