Hello, Howard, thanks for the note, and sorry it took me a few days.

> I notice from your website that you sell MAS epoxy. About all we can find
> out here in the remote hinterlands are the West System products. Is there
a
> difference, or is this a Ford/Chevy thing, or rather a Cadillac/Chevy
thing?
> (They both are almost the same produce...one just costs twice as much,
i.e.,
> Escalade/Avalanche)

For all practical purposes MAS and West are pretty much the same thing.
There are incremental differences;  the MAS is better for large-scale
'glassing and coating, the West System cures a little faster.  For small
projects I wouldn't sweat the variations.

> We can also find polyester resins, but no vinylesters. Bob recently told
me
> he uses 100% vinylester resin to lay up the M-boats. Unless I was
mistaken,
> that sounds to me like an undocumented, but valuable, feature to have.
It's
> my understanding the even the high dollar boats only use vinylesters on
the
> first one or two layers of mat and cloth under the gelcoat for blister
> protection, then revert back to the cheaper...errr...less expensive
> polyesters for the rest of the layup.

I'm not a real expert in the non-epoxy matrices.  I do know that vinylester
is some percentage better in terms of strength and solubility.  It's my
opinion that unless you're doing a really gigantic 'glassing project there's
no sense using polyester or vinylester.  Epoxy is ten times stronger than
even vinylester, and in small quantities the added expense is worth it.

Cheers,
John

Chesapeake Light Craft
The Best Boats You Can Build
http://www.clcboats.com


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to