I keep the anchor in the port-side bilge locker, accessed thru the cockpit
seat hatch, and anchor the boat from the cockp0it, where I have control of
the tiller, then walk the line forward to cleat it off.  I pull the anchor
the same way, dropping the chain right in the locker.  I never liked hanging
the anchor on the pulpit on a boat as small as a 17 because of an aversion
to weight aloft.  I keep the anchor and chain in the bilge locker where it
becomes ballast.

Jerry
----- Original Message -----
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 5:51 PM
Subject: M_Boats: Anchoring


>
> Now that I've reopened the towing can of worms, I'd like to open another:
> I'd like to know where the experienced Monty sailors store their anchors
and
> how they deploy them, carrying anchor and rode forward without stumbling
or
> scratching the deck.  I would think that many would want to mount their
> anchors on the bow, but offhand I can't remember seeing pics of Montys
with
> bow-mounted anchors (I've seen the factory-option roller/sprits:  A very
> nice addition).  I've been mulling over whether I could install a small
> chain-locker forward without intruding too much on foot space in the vee
(I
> was thinking of something shallow that my feet could fit under, with a
drain
> hose into the bilge).  I think I should carry both a Danforth (what I have
> now) and a Bruce, neither of which seems easy to handle gracefully.  Do
the
> experienced among you have ersatz containers for wet rope and messy
anchors?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to