|
Alvin and I tried different main sheet arrangements
yesterday in our M15's. I have pictures but do not know how to post
them. Instructions?
We had two M15's and a Venture 17 racing together
for three races yesterday. Great fun. We are thinking of having a
Messabout and a Fun Race for small trailerable boats here in Lake
Charles. The Yacht Club would be Ideal for paddling, sailing, and messing
about. Nice beach, protected cove, paved launch, restrooms, a/c clubhouse,
etc. Any interest in this in say late July/early August?
Yes, I know, VERY HOT
then.
Ken Abrahams
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 10:01
PM
Subject: RE: M_Boats: Main Sheet Leads
M15
That you
are happy with your set up is all that counts Joe. Different strokes and
all that stuff. Sounds to me like your brand of sailing would suit me
fine too. Fair winds. t
Tom Smith and Jane Van Winkle
M15/345 -- Chukar Sandpoint, Idaho
>Are
you saying handling the main and steering is not more difficult with this
arrangement? How so? Isn't there a certain amount of reaching
across, or backward handedness to this setup? How did you solve this
problem?
Tom, et. al.,
An M15 cockpit is not
that big. You can sit almost anywhere in the cockpit and still reach
the controls -- with, perhaps, the exception of the outboard. I can
sit forward, aft or middle and control main sheet, jib sheets, halyards,
reef lines, tiller, etc., with little problem. For me and my
admirable, the main sheet tackle was always in the way (blocking the
companionway) when attached to the bridge deck, so I moved it to the end of
the boom for convenience more than anything else. When combined with
the boom vang, I find little difference in main sail control.
Obviously, Jerry (the racer) might disagree, but I'm not a racer... in
fact, I am usually the only sailor on the lake during my mid-week outings
and a tenth-of-a-knot (+/-) is no big deal. As long as the slot
between the main and jib is providing good lift, I'm a happy
sailor.
Perhaps I should
give a more complete description of my setup: The top block (w/becket)
on the main sheet tackle attaches to the end of the boom with a snap
shackle. The lower block is a fiddle block (w/cam cleat and
becket) and attaches to the bridle on the transom with
another snap shackle. I shortened the bridle until it rides just
above the tiller and tied a small bowline loop in the center.
The lower snap shackle attaches in the loop. A simple pull
up or down sets or releases the main sheet in the cam cleat. Fine
tuning the main sail is easy.
I made the boom vang
with Laser dinghy vang blocks (WM p.1036). Some discussion on this net
stated a preference for modern block technology, but I find these
inexpensive Laser blocks work just fine. Perhaps they may wear
the line more than other designs, but so what? A few feet of 1/4' line
is cheap to replace every four or five years.
All-in-all, I am very
satisfied with my main sheet lead setup. It works for me and I
would not want to go back to the previous arrangement.
Joe Kidd M15
#207 "Poco a Poco"
|