I am terrified of this problem:  I thought it was caused by water in the
ballast freezing and expanding, which is why it plagues so many boats in the
Great Lakes.  Is the problem more likely to happen in fresh water or salt?
In warm climes or cold?  I keep my boat on her trailer:  Does this reduce my
chances of being afflicted?  Is there any way to test for leaks?  Any
preventive maintenance that can be performed (i.e., reinforce all seams)?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 6:49 PM
Subject: collapsing trunk?


I think water has gotten into some of the keels, causing rust, which swells
the trunk.  The only way another board would help is if, assuming the rust
has been stopped, the new boartd was thinner.

Jerry

----- Original Message -----
From: "dik lang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: collapsing trunk?

I have heard a lot of talk about sticking centerboards and always thought
it
just due to marine growth and or rust on the board. How can the trunk
colapse? How many boats actually suffer from this? It would seem the
easiest
way to remedy the rust issue would be to drop the board, grind it smooth
and
coat with epoxy. Why bother with replacing with a glassed lead one (though
it does sound totally cool!).



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to