I'm not having any CB problems, but I've often wondered how the keel and CB
housing was built. I had thought it might have been a glass keel, with cast
iron insert, but the bottom of the keel and opening for the CB trunk sure
looks to be metal. And looking up inside the trunk, when you have the CB
pulled, it looks like it has some type of wood lining, like plywood in front
of iron. But if it is a cast iron keel, how does it attach to the boat? I
don't see any seams like a bolted on lead keel has.

So I guess what I'm asking is does Jerry or Bob or someone else have a
schematic drawing of how the keel/CB trunk was constructed and attached to
the boat?  And I suppose we are talking the older boats with cast iron
weighted keels. Something to help me visualize what is in there, so when
Jerry or Bones or somebody is talking about a keel repair, I understand what
they are saying.

If I understand Bob's current method of construction, he now does have a
glassed in keel, and pours lead shot into the keel cavity, then glasses over
that. 

And I've often wondered why we bottom paint the outside of the keel and CB
to prevent marine growth, but don't paint the inside of the trunk to the
waterline to do the same thing. Could this be a cause of some stuck boards
for boats moored on the water?

Howard
M17, #278


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to