Gilbert,

I have owned my M15 for 7 yrs and during that same
time I sailed a Cape Dory 25 for a season.

I really enjoyed the CD 25 as it sails very well,
tracks very well and got me through a 40 - 60 kt line
squall in very fine fashion.

However I did't keep it because I felt confined by the
cruising distances within the Marina area.  I also
felt restricted by the relatively deep draft 3' per
spec but think it was closer to 3'4".  The Typhoon is
only 2'6" draft.

I sailed the M15 in protected waters for three days 
with the lightest winds around 20 kts and most of the
time it was 25 - 30 kts. It handled very well so I
went out in the 8 ft seas in Vineyard sound and it
handled those quite well too.  

If I were to be sailing in the SF Bay area I would
definitely prefer the M17 over the M15 for the added
weight and beam.  They are very dry boats but then I
didn't find the CD 25 to be "wet".

Think how you will actually use the boat and you are
likely to end up with M17 for lots of reasons.  The
M17 cockpit is very comfortable and is a pleasure to
daysail in with 3 or 4 people.  The CD cockpit design
is not nearly as comfortable (I crew on an M17
frequently).

The M17 is faster - John Edwards in his M17 could out
point me in the CD 25 and had much better boat speed
as well.  You will enjoy embarrassing the bigger boats
:)

Thanks,

Doug Kelch
M15 "Seas the Day"
--- Gilbert Landin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been tossing and turning, trying to decide
> what my next sailboat will be.
> I thought for sure I would want something trailable.
> Not being limited to by neighborhood
> is a great incentive. I also wanted a daysailor w/ a
> cabin to spend weekends somewhere.
> Abig concearn (and I turn to this knowledgable
> group) is how the boat handles in bay situations
> when the wind is blowing 20-25 knots as it will be
> for the next 4-5 months. I was looking at a cape
> dory
> typhoon, with its nice heavy shoal keel  But they
> stopped
> produced in the mid 80's. So there is a big apeal
> towards newer stronger and lighter materials. I have
> never sailed either
> dows anyone have any comparison notes between the CD
> Typhoon and the 17?
> 


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to