Gilbert:
I'm going to revise the current reefing arrangement on Sweet Dream. Right 
now, I've got a cheek block on the port side of the boom (Harkin Bullet). The 
5/16" line from the 1st reef clew grommet goes dwn to the cheek block and then to 
a horn cleat. The proposed revision is to run a 1/4" line from an eye on the 
s'board side up to the 1st reef grommet, thru the hole and down to the new 
cheek block then run along the boom to a clam cleat with built-in fairlead 
located more forward, near the companionway. I'll tie a knot on the end and leave it 
loose. This way I can reach the clew reef line easily without having to reach 
way over the  side and grab the boom. 
When i'm heaved -to, to take in a reef, the jib is backed and main is loose. 
As I pull in on the boom to reach the clew reef line the boat takes off, 
rounding down til i let the main go again. Quite a balancing act. Moving the cleat 
forward should help. The double purchase should also help. I believe that Doug 
has "Seas" rigged like this.
I just had the second set of reef points added to the main but haven't rigged 
then. Steve suggests that the second reef be set up just like the first but 
on the opposite side of the boom. I'm going to look at this next week.
I've also needed the reef recently. Took Sweet Dream on the Dauphin Island 
race in 18 - 25 knot winds and 3 to 4 ft head seas. One reef was all I needed, I 
wanted to keep the power up to blow thru the waves. Averaged 5.2 knots most 
of the trip.
Let me know what you decide.
Fair winds
Don
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to