Hi Doug,

Your data on the anchors is fine, but to make a judgement you have to
answer....................

        are you only anchoring for lunch?

        are you spending the night on board?

        how protected is your usual anchoring area:    very,  /
moderately, / or not at all?

        are you only anchoring in light to moderate conditions:  assuming
you are out of the water or at a marina         if it really blows?      
 

Anchoring is an art, and there are so many variables involved that you
can only give rough approximations.

On my M15 I carry three anchors, each with chain and rodes.  It's a hang
over from my big boat.  You can never have too many anchors on board.  

Bottoms vary widely - requiring different anchoring "tools".  A Danforth
is great in sand and mud but terrible if you have heavy weed.  I simply
won't go to the bottom.  That's when you need something like a CQR or a
Bruce to do the job.  They get to the bottom and dig in.

If it really starts blowing, I want two anchors out, with lots of rode,
holding me in place.  That still leaves me with a storm anchor as an
insurance policy.  I may never need it, but it sure is a nice feeling
when the wind is whistling in the rigging, other boats are dragging, to
know that I still have more available in an emergency.

Connie
M15  #400  LEPPO        

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to