Doug,
Yes, two anchors are normal practice in the islands. We overnight with two 
Danforths to avoid tripping one out and do a single anchor only for daytime 
trips.  I also use fisherman and northhill anchors...which work well in all 
bottoms and hook to rocks. 90% of the offshore commercial headboats here have 
northills hanging off the bow for reef fishing. Virtually no Bruce or CQR types are 
seen in the commercial fleets...possibly due to size of boat (55' up).  

I tried an aluminum fluke anchor (identical to a 40lb Danforth) but it was 
too light to depress the bottom and dig in.  Small Danforths have the same 
problem in hard sand. My M10 dink had a 2.5S lb. Danforth but the thing was so 
light it wouldn't dig in anything but soft sand without help. It was replaced with 
a 4S lb. and works better. I've had such good luck with Danforths I don't do 
much experimenting anymore...the bottoms I cruise in are made for Danforth 
types.  West Marine has a small bruce that looks just right for my 17' outboard 
and I've been thinking of trying one though.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to