Bill,

I bow to your experience but I no longer rely on a
single anchor type.  I have had the danforth flip over
on me three times now and not reset.  

Do you anchor with two danforths in the bahamas to
avoid the flip over problems?

My bad danforth experiences are as follows

#1 flip over and loss of holding was due to tide
reversal - 1 kt current soft mud bottom.

#2 flip over and loss of holding was due to pilot
error and wind shifts during a thunderstorm.  Pilot
error was leaving the CB down which allowed excessive
side to side sailing in the strong winds - again soft
mud bottom. ( 5 other boats at same location with
danforth's did not have a problem)

# 3 flip over and loss of holding was due to 180 deg
wind shift in thunder storm.

I now use a 15 lb CQR for my M15 for any overnight
anchoring.  This is gross overkill for an M15 and I am
almost always dealing with mud bottoms.  If I were to
buy a new one I would go with a small Bruce anchor
anchor for everyday use and a danforth for special
purpose.

I also carry the reliable danforth and 15 lb coated
weight (looks like a mushroom anchor).

Do you anchor with two danforths in the bahamas to
avoit the flip over problems?

> All used in hard or soft sand and grass. The
> downside of Danforths is you can 
> trip them if the tide or wind changes.
> 
If you go with a CQR be sure it is the right
> bottom. I've owned and 
> used them on sand and grass. If they hit a submerged
> shell or rock it can point 
> the anchor up and make it plow out of the bottom and
> drag.  I saw this more 
> than a few times in the Bahamas and not uncommon.  I
> equate a 25lb plow and 25' 
> of chain as almost equal to a 14lb Danforth and 8'
> of chain in sandy/grassy 
> bottoms. 
> 
> Bill P.
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



        
                
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
http://messenger.yahoo.com/ 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to