A 9lb Danforth (aka the old 8S Danforth) is massive for a 15' boat in soft 
sand bottoms.  A 14lb (aka the old 13S Danforth) will hold a 15'r in 100+ mph 
hurricanes easily...and probably rip the cleats off before dragging.  This may 
help the perspective...I cruised the Bahamas several years on a 28' x 10,000lb 
ketch and used 13 standards as working anchors. We typically anchored in sand 
or 6" high grass and used 8' of chain with 1/2 nylon rodes.  We experienced 
near hurricane winds in open anchorages and the 13 standards never moved an 
inch.  The storm anchor was a 22lb standard Danforth. I also used 22lb standards 
for working anchors on a 42' x 24,000lb cutter and a 40lb standard for storms. 
All used in hard or soft sand and grass. The downside of Danforths is you can 
trip them if the tide or wind changes.

I don't own an M15 but thinking for anchors would be two 9lb Danforths, 4'-6' 
of chain and 3/8" diameter nylon for working anchors. Storm anchor would be a 
14S.  If you go with a CQR be sure it is the right bottom. I've owned and 
used them on sand and grass. If they hit a submerged shell or rock it can point 
the anchor up and make it plow out of the bottom and drag.  I saw this more 
than a few times in the Bahamas and not uncommon.  I equate a 25lb plow and 25' 
of chain as almost equal to a 14lb Danforth and 8' of chain in sandy/grassy 
bottoms. 

Bill P.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to