Just for a contrasting opinion, I think you're all nuts!  For me, the
boltrope is easier to deal with than slugs.  The original sail that came
with Storm Petrel had slugs, but I ordered my new main (5 years old now)
without them and haven't looked back.  

In the spring, a shot of silicone spray in the mast groove keeps the
boltrope sliding freely all season, and I don't need a mechanism to keep the
sail from dropping out of the slot.   I can let go of the halyard to tend to
something else and the sail stays put.  Of course, it's also more
aerodynamic. 

The boltrope is a strong, simple and secure system.  

Bill Riker
M15 #184
Storm Petrel


-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Craig F. Honshell
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:26 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: M_Boats: track lube


I had such a mod made this past spring (close the old throat, open a new,
lower
throat) . . . However, I had my groove opened right above where the boom
rests when
the downhaul is cinched . . . I have a 1/4" quick-release stop-pin that runs
across
the groove once the slugs are fed into place . . . I can flake the sail
without
allowing the slugs to drop out of the groove . . . This also works pretty
well . . .
Perhaps not as tidy as Busca's mod . . .

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 10:18 PM
Subject: track lube

Bill,

Rod, the previous owner, had the following solution:

He closed up the original spread section of the groove and opened up a new
one BELOW the normal operating position of the boom.

When setting up, I feed the slugs all in and then the gooseneck slide and
raise it up towards its normal operating position.  A stop (slug w/
thumbscrew) below the gooseneck keeps it from falling down.  A line to the
mast foot holds the boom from raising when the sail is hoisted.  Sounds
complicated but it works pretty well.

I'll get the measurements for you hopefully by the weekend.

Tod

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to