Dear Montgomery Group,

I have recently bought a 1984 M-17 (Hull #384, Does anyone know this boat?)
which my 5 year old daughter Olivia has named "MEG"  and we will call "THE
MEG".

We put her in the water right after we got her and were really surprised by
her stability, comfort and performance. I did a lot of research for a boat
that we could trailer that would also be safe on the wild and challenging
San Francisco Bay and feel like I made the right choice. Really a great
sailing boat, excellent upwind and on a reach, a "real" boat in a tiny
package.
That being said, We (My wife Wendy and I) are really particular about care
and maintenance and creating a ship-shape vessel so I am turning to you for
advice.

The boat is in good shape, but in need of all the fittings re-bedded,
buffing out, the CB treatment/pin replacement, etc., electrical
refit...trailer bunk boards, bottom coating,etc,etc,etc... pretty much a
going over of most systems.

My wife and I lived on and took care of a 44 classic woody for 12 years in
the 80's and 90's, so we are not newbie's, but the glass, gelcoat stuff is a
little foreign to me.  I'm fairy proficient with west systems and process
oriented applications and prep work, however, I am short on knowledge about
fiberglass other than what I've read.

We need some direction on a series of issues and will continue to read post
historical and otherwise until I figure it out.

Our first priority will be stripping the bottom.  It has a paint on it now,
but I have no idea what kind.  I'm pretty sure it's not ablative as I am
familiar with that type.

The paint is off in spots about the size of a pencil eraser in a shotgun
blast type pattern.  If I look close it looks like the areas where the paint
has come off are raised slightly, but not exactly round in shape.
My first feeling was...oh no, the pox.  But  I have seen gelcoat blisters in
other boats and they are usually not this small or close together.  So I am
confused. 
Maybe they are nothing, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had experienced
this.  

I need to get this paint off...Sand the hull and do the epoxy barrier system
as I want to put it in salt water for 6 months out of the year and not worry
about osmosis.  
I've heard several of you write about the interlux system, but none have
said if you can put it right over the gelcoat.


Finally...Here are my first 4 (or so) questions.


1.  Has anyone experienced the rough hull that I describe above?

2.  The straight dope on removing any type of bottom paint without hurting
the gelcoat.

3.  Do I need to worry about blisters on a Monty?  If so,  How do you prep
for the interlux barrier coat process?...do you rough up the gelcoat and
apply it directly over (the gelcoat)? ...OR?

4.  Is Boatlife still the best bedding compound/caulk for bedding wood
handrails, and other fittings?  Or is their something better out there these
days.


I will stop at these questions right now as I've gone on way too long as it
is.
Thank you for sticking with me...(if you have) and we would appreciate any
experienced advice you may have.  (notice that I said "experienced"...that
should tell you that we have been boaters for many years and have spent many
hours on a dock and in a yard)

Sincere thanks for your time and wisdom...and there will be more questions
to come as we dig in to make this Monty shine.

Thanks,

Michael Ray, Wendy, and Olivia of "Meg"
San Francisco Bay, CA




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to