Welcome Board Michael!

You have made a fine boat selection, and your M17 will reward you with many, 
many fine years of sailing.
You are pondering:

1.  Has anyone experienced the rough hull that I describe above?

2.  The straight dope on removing any type of bottom paint without hurting
the gelcoat.

3.  Do I need to worry about blisters on a Monty?  If so,  How do you prep
for the interlux barrier coat process?...do you rough up the gelcoat and
apply it directly over (the gelcoat)? ...OR?

4.  Is Boatlife still the best bedding compound/caulk for bedding wood
handrails, and other fittings?  Or is their something better out there these
days.

I have a 1976 M17 hull #92. I had some of those "rough hull" patches and I did 
a bottom job. The tiny pox marks were grouped together and at the water line. 
They contained no water so I don't think they are true blisters. I lightly 
sanded and filled small depressions with the 3M mixing fiberglass patch 
material.

Bottom paint should come off, Sean recently discussed this subject, he used a 
stripping chemical. The bottom does need to be roughed up to provide "bite" for 
the paint to adhere.

Interlux has great products. I applied 8 barrier coats of Interprotect 2000 and 
two coats of Micron CSC. The bottom paint gets touched up as needed.

For polysulfide sealers, I used to use 3M 101 (I think that is the number), but 
have switched to Boatlife because it is not as thick, and easier to work with.

Keep the questions coming, we all wish to see you on the water as soon as 
possible!

Have you seen Bill Lamica's great web site with M-boats galore?

Later,

Bones
Monty nut
Lyle Hess groupie
_____________________________________________________________
Click to learn how to become a world famous writer or poet.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3mz77b5WmvXO5ffL6YDi1gk30QqkhcUyvn9BklQbjDk1cq3f/



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to