On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 01:09:27PM -0400, Shawn H Corey wrote:
> On 10-06-02 12:14 PM, Stevan Little wrote:
>> Primary key and foreign key are meaningless to Moose because that is not
>> how objects connect to one another, that is how you imply relationships
>> in a RDB. I think perhaps you're too stuck in RDB thinking, keys are
>> most certainly not a requirement for a decent persistence solution. This
>> is also less an issue of Moose and more an issue of the impedance
>> mismatch between OO and RDB, which at this point seems like a unsolvable
>> problem.
>
> I could reply by saying you're too stuck in OO thinking.
>
> Meta-data is still data and MVC can be applied to it.  I want a tool
> that I can apply a DBA view and an OO-programmer view to a meta-data
> model.

What he's saying is that it's about tradeoffs. If you want a persistence
solution for your domain objects (which use things like inheritance and
composition), KiokuDB handles this, with the drawback that it's not as
easy to introspect things from the db itself. If you want an object
oriented view of the actual db, DBIx::Class and Fey::ORM do this, with
the drawback that the objects you get from them probably won't map to
your domain objects in a very straightforward way. There are ways to get
both of these things, but not in a way that's going to scale very well.
It all really depends on what your needs actually are.

-doy